Work in progress
Terminal restyling and expansion
For the period 2011-2013, the Bologna Guglielmo Marconi Airport planned the restyling and expansion of the Terminal.
Main objectives of the operation:
- increase spaces and improve the usability and acceptance of the terminal;
- increase and diversify the spaces dedicated to commercial activities (landside e airside);
- adjust and improve the technological systems with a view to continuous improvement of passengers services.
What will change
In summary, the planned measures are intended to:
- create a single check-in area on the ground floor (in Area 2);
- expand the boarding area (with the inversion of the Schengen and Extra-Schengen halls);
- unify the Baggage Reclaim halls;
- expand commercial areas and adapt the new internal flow of the airport with the creation of the 'walk through' (commercial spaces with large walk-bound for passengers directed to boarding gates);
- renovate the existing technological systems;
- create 5 piers with 2 air bridges for the direct transfer of passengers from the terminal to the aircraft.
Why expanding Bologna airport
The structural expansion was necessary in the light of the increase of passengers of the recent years - more than a million in 2007-2010, by crossing, on 22nd November 2010, the historic threshold of 5 million passengers/year - and for the further development of traffic in the coming years.
The airport of tomorrow
At the end of these works of restyling and expansion of the passenger terminal, the new structure will be larger and will offer new services and an improved quality travel experience.
Facts and figures
|Total Surface (sqm)||31.100||36.100|
|Shopping Area (sqm)||3.700||5.500|
|Number of Gates||20||24|
|Number of Security Checkpoints||7||10|
|Number of Toilet facilities||120||145|