Make sure that your baggage is appropriately labelled with your name and surname and that it doesn’t exceed the number or the free baggage allowance for the class in which you are travelling, which is stated on your ticket. If your baggage does exceed the free allowance you will have to pay an excess baggage charge at the ticket counters.
It is important to write your name, address and telephone number on all items of baggage, including your hand baggage.
Please make sure that you do not leave your baggage unattended in the airport.
Only one piece of hand baggage is allowed on board the flight (check size and weight restrictions with the airline). You may also carry the following items* with you:
- A handbag, purse or wallet or a laptop computer;
- A camera, video camera or CD player;
- A coat or anorak;
- An umbrella or walking stick;
- A pair of crutches or other walking aid;
- A baby carrier and baby food;
- Items to read on board;
- Items purchased at the Duty Free shop or other shops at the airport (providing it does not exceed maximum weight or quantity restrictions).
To simplify security checks, you are advised to reduce the number of metallic objects carried and worn to the minimum.
(*) Some companies request the items inside the hand baggage.
Attention: special restrictions are in force for the carriage of liquids.
New EU rules regarding liquids carried as hand luggage
From January the 31st 2014 in relation to the new EU rules regarding liquids, aerosol and gels, passengers departing from bologna airport with medicines and special dietary products and passengers in transit from Bologna Airport must go to security lines 1 and 3, equipped with appropriate devices for their checks.
From January the 31st 2014 passengers in transit from Bologna Airport, with liquids, aerosol and gels bought in other EU airports or on board, and carried inside special bags with their receipt, must go to the appropriate desk in the baggage delivery room, before leaving the same room.
Here liquids, aerosol and gels will be repackaged inside a second bag of Bologna Airport.
The same won't be checked once again only if carried inside this second bag.
For all other details please read the PDF.
For security reasons, it is forbidden to carry in the hand baggage objects which may be used as weapons.
The following items may not be carried, whether as hand baggage or checked in baggage:
- Alarmed briefcases;
- Underwater torches with batteries;
- Explosive substances such as fireworks or flares;
- Any type of gas canister (irritant gases, self-defence sprays, camping stoves);
- Corrosive substances (acid, base or alkaline solutions, acid powered batteries);
- Explosive ammunition;
- Flammable liquids and solids (lighter fuel, coloured paints, varnishes or detergents);
- Radioactive substances;
- Oxidising substances;
- Poisons or infective substances (mercury, bacteria cultures and viruses);
- Highly magnetic material.
Oversized and Heavy Baggage
Oversized and Heavy Baggage may be transported in the seat next to the one in which you are travelling, which must be booked and paid for. The maximum weight is 75kg.
Weapons and munitions
We advise you to check the restrictions applied by the airline in advance. Passengers must present the necessary documents for their weapons at the airport check-in, where they will be asked to fill in a form and take it to the Police Station (1st floor, next to the security check area) to request permission to carry them.
Depending on the airline, there may be a charge for the weapons carriage and custody service.
The following items are considered sports equipment:
- Bicycles (packed in a box and with handlebars and pedals folded);
- Surfboards and windsurf boards provided they are packed in a box, ski, snowboards and golf equipment;
- Hunting rifles and ammunition (cartridges must be kept in their box and must not exceed 5kg);
- Diving equipment (oxygen tanks must be empty and torches free of batteries);
- Fishing equipment.
Instruments under 1 metre long may be carried on board as hand baggage. If the instrument is over 1 metre long it must be checked in and, for its own protection, be stored in a hard case.
Motorbikes and motor vehicles
Please contact specialised forwarding agents who have been certified by the IATA.